Sunday, January 28, 2018

Feedback Thoughts

Deconstructing Constructive Feedback
https://www.inc.com/amy-morin/6-bad-mental-habits-that-sabotage-your-success.html

1) 6 Bad Mental Habits That Sabotage Your Success
The bad habits for this article were making excuses, catastrophes the future, seeks audience approval, believes self-doubts, puts oneself down and second-guesses oneself. I think for this one I most tend to struggle with seeking audience approval. I tend to be a people-pleaser, which slides right into my need for perfection. This can create a disaster for comparison, essentially robbing me of my joy that was there for success in the first place. My need for approval has been something I have recently discovered in my life, and I'm excited to use these tactics to ultimately get it out and fill it will the opposite--not needing the approval of others. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/meganbruneau/2016/07/15/5-tips-for-receiving-feedback-like-a-champ/#74c8df6c1899

2) 5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ
"Realize that feeling uncomfortable is healthy, normal, and part of the growth process — this includes the discomfort we feel when we receive feedback:" For me, this speaks volumes. I think my whole life has been a series of "how comfortable can I get?" Once I reached out of that, I embraced uncomfortableness and went after  it. I can definitely say now when I receive feedback, I am more willing to stand firm and receive if it is beneficial. Whether it may be hard or not, I want to be able to filter rather than choosing flight and running away.

"Remind yourself that having growth areas is a good thing— it means you haven't maxed out on your potential: " Growth, growth, growth. It is one of my favorite things and choices about life. We get to CHOOSE to grow. I am pumped about this ability and how growing enables a healthy feedback intake. 
"Keep in mind 'state" vs. "trait:'" They could not have said it better. I want to be able to say "Okay, this is for right now" rather than "this statement defines who I am". 

"Find the positive intentions behind your deficiency, and notice where it's a strength:" I enjoy seeing the positive. Obviously, it is not always possible but I want to believe there is a positive in most situations and criticism. I want to also take it an extra step and see if the constructive feedback is true of my strengths, and if it is, press into that.


"Use mindfulness and self-compassion to react in a productive way:" I believe it begins with a choice, will I choose to react productively or not? I get to choose. I believe being aware of my own needs and passions is important when receiving feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment