Thursday, May 3, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: Haiti to Australia

Wikipedia Trail: Haiti to Australia

Flag of Haiti
Image Source
#1: Haiti

I read about the country that I lived in for two summers, plus couple more week long trips. Something new I learned is that French is spoken by 42% of Haitians, I had no idea that many spoke French!

#2: French-based creole languages
I read about the language of Creole created when the French brought African slaves over to the island of the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Creole was formed as the slaves were no longer allowed to speak their native language, so they would write down the language the French were speaking and eventually spoke it for themselves. The writing looked different from French so Creole was formed out of those different spellings over time.

#3: Indian Ocean
I read about the Indian Ocean. The Indian Ocean is the third largest ocean in the world, bounded by Asia, Africa and Australia.

#4: Australia
Australia is the largest country in Oceania and is the 13th largest economically.

No comments:

Post a Comment